Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mexico

It's been a while since my last post. As everyone knows, we rented our house out and moved south of the border 4 months ago now. And, as anyone who has ever lived in another country knows, it's not always a picnic and a bit interesting at times.

My first major issue that I had to over come here was my "personal space bubble" I've always had this huge "bubble" and I'm the kind of person that if I don't know you, don't touch me, don't hug me and especially Don't kiss my face! Well, it's still quite annoying when people have to come and touch my skin because it's "so white" or all the hand shakes that are customary and if not performed you're considered to be "rude and uneducated". But I get by.

Another major issue here is the living arrangements. At first we were supposed to find a house to rent the day we got here, but of course my mother in law had to cry because we didn't want to stay here so I agreed to a week or two, we're going on 4 months now! Now, don't get me wrong, there have been times when it hasn't been too bad, but over all, living with others (especially ones you can't communicate with!) is pure torturous hell!

Which brings me to my current situation. House hunting! It's been kind of fun (and frustrating) looking for a house to rent out here. There are some major differences though compared to house hunting in the good ol USA. For starters, here's a list of must ask questions back at home.
1. Are pets allowed?
2. Is there a number on the amount of pest?
3. Is there a dishwasher?
4. Is the heat electric or gas?
5. etc.
Now, in comparison, the must ask questions here are:
1. Does the house have indoor plumbing?
2. What about electricity?
3. Do the toilets actually flush or do I have to pour in a bucket of water every time I do my little number?
4. Does the house have phone lines?
5. Is there hot water in the house?
Over all though, it's been amazing. The weather has been great; I get all the fresh tropical fruits I can handle. (oranges are 50 for just under $2 usd right now!) Every morning the "milk truck" comes delivering fresh milk, squeezed that morning (just needs to be pasteurized but the taste is far superior) Each week the “markets” come to town setting up in the plaza (down town) with a wide variety of fresh fruits and veggies and all kinds of other stuff ranging from clothing to kitchen items, to plants and trees for the house!

The lifestyle here is also very relaxed compared to the rush, rush lifestyle of the average American city. Most people here don’t really care about possessions. They buy only what they need, use what they have until it literally falls apart, and don’t waste much. Credit also isn’t too common out here either, making it impossible for the average person to dig into debt and spend more than they can afford to spend.

3 comments:

FAB SIX said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Homeopathic medicine is a organic kind of therapeutic!
[url=http://www.homeopathicdoctors.org/]homeopathy jobs[/url]